CertainTeed Introduces CertaSeal INT, a Fast-Drying Air Sealant
New Sealant Improves Airtightness of Building Envelope, Meeting Strict IECC Standards and Providing Energy Efficiency for Life of the Home
(MALVERN, Pa.) – CertainTeed, a leading North American brand of building materials, introduces CertaSeal INT, a new water-based, liquid acrylic, spray-on air sealing solution that provides code-compliant airtightness for homes. CertainTeed is known for providing high-impact interior products that improve the overall building envelope for end-user comfort, and with the application of CertaSeal INT, occupants will experience better indoor air quality, acoustics and energy efficiency.
As building codes become stricter and more complex with respect to airtightness, contractors and builders require better, more effective solutions. Over time, more states are adopting IECC 2015, 2018 or even stricter standards for airtightness. CertaSeal INT achieves airtightness requirements for the life of the home – and helps limit air exchange long term.
By choosing CertaSeal INT, contractors and builders will benefit from the following features:
- Easy Application – Single-pass application dries quickly, as its bright blue color provides easy visibility.
- Superior Performance – Excellent adhesion to wood, allowing it to stay in place; it also gets in hard-to-reach areas where canned spray foam can’t.
- Meets Airtightness Requirements – Measures up to more stringent codes for air exchange, for the life of the home, not just day one.
- Safe, No Special Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) Required – No air supply is required as it has no VOCs or off-gassing during installation. Only standard safety equipment is needed (safety glasses/goggles, chemical-impervious gloves like neoprene or nitrile, and NIOSH-certified respirator with efficiency of N95 in the case of insufficient ventilation).
- Quick Start, Minimal Training – Time-saving, quick and easy install that requires only a standard paint sprayer.
Customers and buyers will benefit by experiencing:
- Improved Energy Efficiency – Reduces HVAC/mechanical load.
- Fewer Health Concerns – Reduces air infiltration of outside offenders (allergens, pollutants and pests).
- Better Comfort – Lessens noise/sound transmission for a quieter home.
This sealant is intended to be applied with an airless paint sprayer to fill any void, crack or penetration in a residential building envelope and is meant for interior applications only in new construction and retrofit housing. CertaSeal INT is Class A fire rated and Greenguard Gold certified, and requires no supplied air or special PPE outside of standard safety glasses, nitrile gloves, and NIOSH-certified respirator (in case of insufficient ventilation). This means that other trades can be working at the same time that CertaSeal is being applied. Minimal training is required to get started – if you can use a paint sprayer, you can install it. This product dries quickly, allowing drywall work to be completed within 24 hours of installation, and it can be installed in a wide range of temperatures.
Through the responsible development of innovative and sustainable building products, CertainTeed, headquartered in Malvern, Pennsylvania, has helped shape the building products industry for more than 110 years. Founded in 1904 as General Roofing Manufacturing Company, the firm's slogan, "Quality Made Certain, Satisfaction Guaranteed," inspired the name CertainTeed. Today, CertainTeed is a leading North American brand of exterior and interior building products, including roofing, siding, solar, fence, decking, railing, trim, insulation, drywall and ceilings.
A subsidiary of Saint-Gobain, one of the world’s largest and oldest building products companies, CertainTeed has more than 6,900 employees and more than 60 manufacturing facilities throughout the United States and Canada. The group had total sales of approximately $3.98 billion in 2018.